Medical peels can improve the skin’s appearance. In this treatment, a medical chemical solution is applied to the skin, which makes it dry and after few days peels off. The new skin layer is smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
Chemical peels can be done on the face, neck, or hands. They can be used to:
- reduce fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth,
- treat wrinkles caused by sun damage and aging,
- improve the appearance of mild scars,
- treat certain types of acne,
- reduce age spots, freckles, and dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills,
- improve the look and feel of skin.
Areas of sun damage may improve after chemical peeling.
After a chemical peel, skin is temporarily more sensitive to the sun, thus it is important to wear sunscreen every day. It should be SPF 50, broad spectrum on the label, meaning it protects against the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. Limit your time in the sun, especially between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.